Upgrade Your Driving Experience by Adding CarPlay on Your GMC Truck
With GMC jumping into the trend of connectivity features with their models, you can now pair your iPhone device with the GMC Infotainment system equipped with models; like the GMC Sierra, GMC Acadia, GMC Yukon, GMC Terrain, and many more. You can now make calls, texts, and even listen to your favorite artists without taking your hands off the wheel or your attention off the road by adding Apple CarPlay on your GMC trucks!
WHAT IS APPLE CARPLAY?
For a start, CarPlay is Apple’s way of bringing their iOS to in-car infotainment systems. These connectivity apps display information from the iPhone devices on a car’s built-in infotainment unit. It gives drivers a safe way to make phone calls, send text messages, listen to music, and access maps – all of the things you might want to do with your phone while driving your GMC truck.
Having CarPlay in your GMC infotainment system is optional and if you have none of these connectivity features in your truck, you can always opt for adding Apple Carplay to your GMC factory radio.
Not only does GMC support these features but also Chevrolet vehicles. You can check our GM Navigation Store for more of the sweet upgrades for Chevrolet trucks.
Features in CarPlay
The US car manufacturers and Apple designed Carplay to be hands-free, giving you as little distraction as possible while driving. For this reason, it can be controlled by voice and reliant on Apple’s personal assistant Siri. You can use Siri to perform a range of actions in the car, like placing phone calls, getting directions, sending and reading text messages, playing music, accessing apps, and more. Adding CarPlay to your factory radio is an advantage to your driving experience!
Once connected to an in-dash system via iPhone’s Lightning port or wirelessly to your GMC truck, CarPlay gives you in-car access to information stored in your iPhone. This information includes:
- Apple Maps: With your device connected to your car display, CarPlay can predict where you’re going using the addresses you have from your calendars, contacts, email, and text messages. You can also share your ETA with someone in your contact list while navigating through your map to help everyone know your location.
- Phone Calls: You can now make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails without holding your phone.
- Audio Messages: You can now send messages by dictating instead of typing, so you will never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Apple Music: Access all your music from your music subscription and additional audio apps using your car’s built-in controls. You can also search by artist, album, or song.
- Calendar: With the calendar connected from your iPhone device, you can get a quick, simple view of the day while you’re on the go.
- Voice Control: CarPlay has a Siri voice control specially designed for driving. So when you are driving you can now do everything your infotainment system provided with one command.
- Connects to Other Apps: CarPlay also supports other apps in your iPhone device, such as Podcasts, Audiobooks, WhatsApp, Spotify, and SiriusXM radio.
Because CarPlay pulls its information from the iPhone, there’s mostly and virtually no setup involved.
DOES GMC HAVE APPLE CARPLAY?
GMC started offering CarPlay features on their 2016 models and up. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have CarPlay feature on older models such as the 2014 GMC Sierra! The 2014 GMC trucks and SUVs are already Carplay compatible, you just need the right parts and programming from a trusted shop. Check out MVI!
CAN I INSTALL APPLE CARPLAY TO GMC TRUCK ON MY OWN?
You can install CarPlay to your GMC truck, given that you have the right modules that are CarPlay compatible. You can check on GM Navigation Store for all your infotainment needs.
Once you know what your needs are in the vehicle, MVI can help you upgrade your GMC Intellilink System. Read below on 3 sweet upgrades for your GMC IntelliLink System, which include the Apple CarPlay upgrade:
- Upgrade your GMC IntelliLink system by installing the CarPlay features on your own.
- This will require you to have a new HMI Module, Radio Module and a USB Hub from MVI installed on your vehicle.
- This upgrade is only compatible if your vehicle’s option code is IO5 or IO6.
- It needs special programming though to clear out the old vin and set it up for your vin to accept it.
- Plug and play portal is another alternative where you can hook up on your USB port.
- Because this is a stand alone device, your particular phone does not play a role in functionality or requirements.
- The portal will have the ability to load content directly onto the device or allow video playback via a USB flash drive, without the need for a WIFI connection.
- This requires your vehicle to have CarPlay capabilities already and by upgrading to this you will have wireless CarPlay through the portal.
- Have a smartphone mirroring module installed!
- Although this is not entirely a CarPlay installation process, it still acts like one.
- With a smartphone mirroring option, you can mirror your phone screen to your infotainment system.
- Your controls will be through your phone screen though and this will not work if your vehicle has RSE.
- This upgrade is compatible with IO4, IO5 and IO6 vehicles.